Takeaway subtract fractions questions appear on many exam papers throughout primary and high school.
This particular question deals with:
The main things to remember when working with takeaway or subtract fractions questions are:
- The bottom numbers ‘the denominators' need to be the same (in this question they are both 12)
- Takeaway the numbers … and then the fractions
- If you can't – use a conversion so:
- or anything else to make your calculation easier
- Always simplify your answer
- If you’d like to ask for any more detail, or you’re not sure about anything, please do ask a question in the comments section. I’ll let you know as soon as I’ve posted an answer.
All very best with your studies.
Watch this video on YouTube
There's also a playlist on working with fractions, that might be useful