Here’s a few videos on how to work with proportion, that I hope might be useful. They are becoming a little more popular on GCSE mathematics as you need to demonstrate a clear, logical method. Although the questions aren’t always that straightforward …. and here’s some practice questions to try, before watching the videos:
- the hardest thing is interpreting the English – spend time re reading the question and make sure that you understand the text
- it can be quite useful to try to imagine a real life situation to help with understanding
- look for words like ‘directly or inversely proportional to’
- start with a mathematical statement such as a ∝ b
- check whether your answer makes sense … should it be bigger or smaller? Would you expect your answer to be different?
If you’d like to ask for any more detail, or you’re not sure about anything, please do ask a question in the comments section.
All best with your studies
Watch on YouTube