Linear equations with fractions are becoming more popular on High School maths papers
… and tend to be worth high marks. This post is really for the higher level questions that involve fractions, although here’s a couple of additional posts that also might be of interest:
Please don’t leave this page too quickly! Here’s some top tips when solving with linear equations with fractions:
- You need to find a way to make sure the denominators are the same
- Imagine that you are dealing with ‘normal’ fractions – how do you add 1/4 + 1/3 ?
- Be very logical and always work down the page
- Write each line out completely and ‘balance’ each time
- Look for opportunities to put the terms containing x on one side, and everything else on the other
- Try to avoid negative terms
- If you’ve got time, put the value of x back in to check you’re correct
If you’d like to ask for any more detail, or you’re not sure about anything, please do ask a question in the comments section.
All best with your studies
Watch on YouTube