This video is all about how to simplify algebraic fractions.
(x² – 25) / x² + 7x + 10
The question is aimed at around grade 6+ GCSE maths.
- Always work down the page, with the equals sign in the middle
- Show each stage of your calculation
- Learn to read right to left … sometimes it’s easier to keep the value of x on the right hand side of an equation
- Think about factorising, so you can simplify the equation
- Try to keep a positive value of x
- Is your answer reasonable?
Simplify algebraic fractions questions appear in all the main examination boards, including Edexcel, AQA and OCR. They are popular and, once you have the basic principles, fairly similar. Please do stop the video, try the question and compare your solution!
Here’s some additional posts if you would like more detail and practice questions.
If you would like to find out more try these!
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I’ll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch the video on YouTube – Simplifying Algebraic Fractions