These videos deal with surface area of a cylinder formula questions aimed at around grade 5. They can be a little challenging and you might need to use the formula in a number of ways – particularly the second question of video 2.
– A solid cylinder has a height of 12cm and a radius of 5cm. Work out the total surface area. Give your answer correct to 3 significant figures.
– A solid cylinder has a diameter of 3m and a height of 8m. Work out the total surface area of the cylinder. Give your answer in terms of .
– A solid cylinder is cut in half to form a semi-cylinder with a radius of 10cm and a length of 62cm. Calculate the total surface area of the semi-cylinder. Give your answer correct to 2 decimal places.
– A solid cylinder has a radius of x metres and a height of 12 metres. The total surface area of the cylinder is 216m³. Find the value of radius.
Here's a link to the questions: QT Surface area of a cylinder
and here's the answer paper: QT – Surface area of a cylinder ANSWERS apologies for the fairly basic pdf – it might be better to watch the video 🙂
- Draw a net to help you with your calculations
- Try to work methodically and, preferably, down the page
- You might not need to work out until the very end
Here's a post that also might be of interest:
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I'll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch these videos on YouTube: