This video is a quick reminder of better value maths questions – ‘Best Buys’ for GCSE maths, and is aimed at around grade 4.
– stop the video
– work through the questions
– compare your solutions
I hope the video helps and please do leave a comment – thanks!
Download a copy of the questions here:
Here’s a copy of the written answers:
1. Two different packs of Top Tea Bags are available at the supermarket:
Superpack – 180 tea bags for £5
Megapack – 200 tea bags for £6
Which pack represents the best value for money?
2. Big Flavour Coffee is available in two different jars:
200 grams for £4.99
300 grams for £5.99
Work out which jar represents the best value for money.
3. Medium eggs cost £1.09 for a pack of 6, or £2.70 for a pack of 18. Which price is the better value? You must show your working.
4. Onions cost £8 for a 7.5kg bag at a farm shop. The same onions cost £2.50 for a 2.5kg bag at the supermarket. Where are the onions better value, at the farm shop, or the supermarket?
5. Moosehead shower gel is available in three different containers:
Large 800ml for £6.50
Medium 600ml for £5.00
Small 400ml for £3.75
Which container offers the best value for money? You must show your working.
6. In a supermarket sale there are two offers for dishwasher tablets
Pack A – 180 tablets + 25% extra free – total cost £4
Pack B – 180 tablets + 10% off the normal price of £4
Which pack offers the best value for money?
These types of questions appear in all the main GCSE exam boards – Edexcel, AQA, OCR and Educas – and are fairly common for non calculator papers.
- Try to find a common measurement – quantity, weight etc
- Always check the units £ and p, kg and g, to make sure that you are comparing similar quantities
- Always show your working, including any calculations, you might get additional method marks.
Here’s other posts that also might be of interest:
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I’ll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch on YouTube:
I’d really appreciate a like, if you found it useful! If you subscribe to the channel, you’ll also be notified of new uploaded videos 🙂