This video is a quick walkthrough of some popular GCSE revision maths calculator questions, that are worthwhile practicing …. please do
– stop the video
– work through the questions
– compare your solutions
I hope the video helps and please do leave a comment – thanks!
Download a copy of the questions here: QT Quick Test 2 Higher Calculator
Here’s a copy of the written answers: QT Quick Test 2 – Higher Calculator ANSWERS
Here’s the questions:
1. A lorry travels a distance of 200 miles in 3 hours and 25 minutes. Calculate the average speed of the lorry in miles per hour. Give your answer to 1 d.p.
2. It costs £3.40 to buy 5 oranges. Calculate how much it will cost to buy 18 oranges.
3. Calculate (1.38 x 10^2) ÷ (2.3 x 10^-4)
4. These triangles are mathematically similar. Calculate the value of x.
5. Calculate the length of BC. Give your answer correct to 1 decimal place.
6. Given that a:b = 5:4 and b:c = 9:7
Find the ratio a:b:c
7. Solve the simultaneous equations:
3x + y = 11
2x – 4y = -9
8. Kavin bought a boat for £65,000. In the first year the value of the boat decreased by 25%. In the second year the value of the boat increased by 10%. Calculate the value of the boat after 2 years.
9. Line A passes through the point (0,5) and has a gradient of ½ . Write down the equation of line A.
10. The bearing of Crows Nest from Deacons Hill is 140 degrees. What is the bearing of Deacons Hill from Crows Nest?
Here’s the timestamp:
1:08 Speed Distance Time
2:58 Price comparison
3:55 Standard Form
5:11 Mathematically similar
10:18 Simultaneous equations
15:30 Straight line equation
These types of questions appear in all the main GCSE exam boards – Edexcel, AQA, OCR and Educas – and are fairly common for non calculator papers.
- Always work methodically and show your working
- Why is that information in the first few lines?
- Check your calculations
- Is it a reasonable answer?
Here’s other posts that also might be of interest:
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I’ll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch on YouTube:
I’d really appreciate a like, if you found it useful! If you subscribe to the channel, you’ll also be notified of new uploaded videos 🙂