This video is a quick walkthrough of some popular mock GCSE maths questions, that are worthwhile practicing …. please do
– stop the video
– work through the questions
– compare your solutions
I hope the video helps and please do leave a comment – thanks!
Download a copy of the questions here: QT Quick Test Grade 5B
Here's a copy of the written answers: QT Quick Test – Grade 5B ANSWERS
Here's the questions (unfortunately without diagrams):
1. In a sale, normal prices are reduced by 25%. The normal price of a coat is reduced by £30. Work out the normal price of the coat.
2. Expand and simplify (5a – 1)(2a – 8)
3. Simon drove from Leeds to London. It took him 4 ½ hours at a speed of 70mph. Josh drove from Leeds to London. It took Josh 6 hours to make the same journey.
Assuming that Josh drove along the same roads as Simon, and did not take a break:
Work out Josh’s average speed from Leeds to London
If Josh did not drive along the same roads as Simon, explain how this would affect your answer to part (a)
4. (a) Work out 6.24 x 0.008
(b) Work out the value of (9.4 x 10^4) x (1.8 x 10^3). Give your answer in standard form.
(c) Work out the value of (4.5 x 10^7) (1.5 x 10^-3). Give your answer in standard form.
5. In a theatre production, the ratio of the number of men to the number of women is 3 : 7.
40% of the men are under the age of 32
50% of the women are under the age of 32
What percentage of all the people in the theatre production are under the age of 32?
6. (a) Factorise (x^2 + 13x + 30)
(b) Hence, or otherwise, find the solutions to x^2 + 13x + 30 = 0
(c) Factorise fully 20x^2 + 4x
7. x is inversely proportional to y. x is given by the formula x = 500/y.
Find the value of y when x = 12.5.
8. (a) Complete the table of values for y = x^2 + 2x + 1
(b) On the grid, draw the graph of y = x^2 + 2x + 1
9. Find the gradient of the line that passes through (-1, -2) and (-3, 10)
10. The diagram shows a cone.
The height of the cone is 15cm. The base of the cone has a diameter of 16cm.
Work out the total surface area of the cone. Give your answer in terms of pi.
Here's the timeline:
0:30 Q1 Reverse Percentage
2:02 Q2 Expand
2:49 Q3 Speed Distance Time
5:16 Q4 Standard form
8:30 Q5 Ratio & percentage
9:55 Q6 Factorise
11:40 Q7 Inverse Proportion
12:40 Q8 Plotting graph
17:01 Q9 Gradient
18:36 Q10 Cone area
- Always work methodically and show your working
- Why is that information in the first few lines?
- Check your calculations
- Is it a reasonable answer?
Here's other posts that also might be of interest:
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I'll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch on YouTube:
I'd really appreciate a like, if you found it useful! If you subscribe to the channel, you'll also be notified of new uploaded videos