This video is a quick walkthrough of some popular revision GCSE maths questions, that are worthwhile practicing …. please do
– stop the video
– work through the questions
– compare your solutions
I hope the video helps and please do leave a comment – thanks!
Download a copy of the questions here: Quick Test Grade 5C
Here's a copy of the written answers: Quick Test Grade 5C ANSWERS
Here's the questions:
1. (a) A train is travelling at a speed of 87 miles per hour. Work out an estimate for the number of seconds the train takes to travel 1 mile. (2 marks)
(b) State whether your answer is an overestimate or underestimate.
Give a reason for your answer (1 mark)
2. Andy, Baran and Chris share some money.
Andy takes 15 of the money.
Baran and Chris share the rest of the money in the ratio 2:3.
What percentage, of the remaining money, does Chris receive? (3 marks)
3. 40% of a number is 240.
Work out the number. (2 marks)
4. ABCD is a parallelogram.
The diagonals of the parallelogram intersect at O.
vector OB = a vector OA = b
a) Find in terms of a, the vector BD. (1 mark)
b) Find in terms of a and b, the vector CD. (2 marks)
c) Find in terms of a and b, the vector CB. (2marks)
5. There are 2 times as many red pens as blue pens and 3 times as many blue pens as yellow pens in a box. Write down the ratio of the number of red pens to blue pens to yellow pens. (2 marks)
6. Sair is buying a fridge freezer. 10% is added to the price of the fridge freezer to pay the delivery charge. Sair then has to pay a total of £330. What is the price of the fridge with no delivery charge? (3 marks)
7. Sarah is driving to France for her holiday. She will drive a total distance of 420 km. Sarah leaves home at 5:30 in the morning. It takes her 1.5 hours to travel the first 105 km. Use this information to estimate the time Sarah will arrive. (4 marks)
8. Work out 4.1 × 4.24. (2 marks)
9. The drawing shows a right angled triangle.
AB = 33 km
angle ABC = 60°
Find the length of BC. (3 marks)
10. Given that a : b = 3 : 5 and b : c = 3 : 5.
Find the ratio a : b : c.
Give your answer in its simplest form. (2 marks)
11. The equation of the line L1 is 3y = 9x – 21.
The equation of the line L2 is y – x = 14.
Show that these two lines are not parallel. (3 marks)
12. Aryan buys a pack of 12 bottles of water.
The pack costs £6.24.
Aryan sells all 12 bottles for 60p each.
Work out Aryan's percentage profit.
Give your answer correct to 1 decimal place. (4 marks)
13. Triangle ABC has a perimeter of 22m.
AB = 4 m and BC = 10 m.
Is triangle ABC is a right-angled triangle? Show clearly how you decide. (3 marks)
14. The formulae show the cost ‘C’ of a taxi journey of x miles, with three different companies.
Alpha taxi: C = 1.69x + 2
Bravo taxi: C = 1.65x
Charlie taxi: C = 1.2x + 6.5
Which is the least expensive company to use for a journey of 40 miles?
Show how you got your answer. (3 marks)
Here's the timestamps:
0:00 Q1 Introduction
0:40 Q2 Speed Distance Time
2:21 Q3 Ratio
4:24 Q4 Reverse Percentage
5:50 Q5 Vectors
9:49 Q6 Ratio Algebra
10:45 Q7 Percentages
12:16 Q8 Speed Distance Time
15:12 Q9 Calculation
16:00 Q10 SohCahToa
18:08 Q11 Ratio
19:35 Q12 Parallel Lines
21:03 Q13 Percentage Profit
22:12 Q14 Pythagoras
24:20 Q15 Formulae
These types of questions appear in all the main GCSE exam boards – Edexcel, AQA, OCR and Educas – and are fairly common for non calculator papers.
- Always work methodically and show your working
- Why is that information in the first few lines?
- Check your calculations
- Is it a reasonable answer?
Here's other posts that also might be of interest:
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I'll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch on YouTube:
I'd really appreciate a like, if you found it useful! If you subscribe to the channel, you'll also be notified of new uploaded videos