This video is a walkthrough of scale drawings – and is aimed at grade 3. Please do
– stop the video
– work through the questions
– compare your solutions
I hope the video helps and please do leave a comment – thanks!
Download a copy of the questions here: QT Scale Drawings and Maps
Download a copy of the written answers here: QT Scale Drawings and Maps ANSWERS
Questions on scale drawings are usually non-calculator, around 2 – 4 marks, and appear in all the main GCSE exam boards – Edexcel, AQA, OCR and Educas. The topic is useful, not just as an exam question, but in real life. Apart from maps, many prototypes are built using scale models … imagine a new car design, building or housing estate. Scale drawings need to be incredibly accurate so the final product, when built, is fully detailed.
Here’s the questions:
1. Xavier is making a model car using a scale of 1:20.
(a) The length of the model car is 8cm. Work out the length of the real car. Give your answer in metres. (2 marks)
(b) The width of the real car is 1.2m. Work out the width of Xavier’s model. Give your answer in cm. (2 marks)
2. Here is a scale drawing of Josh’s garden. He would like to cover the garden using concrete paving slabs. Each slab is 50cm x 50cm. How many slabs will Josh need to completely cover the garden? (3 marks)
3. A map has a scale of 1 : 40000. The distance between two points on the map is 6cm. Work out the real distance between the two points. Give your answer in kilometres. (3 marks)
4. The accurate scale drawing shows a lighthouse and a small boat. The small boat has a real height of 6m. Find an estimate for the real height of the lighthouse. Give your answer in metres. (3 marks)
5. A model ship has a length of 15cm. The scale of the model is 1 : 450. Work out the length of the real ship. Give your answer in metres. (2 marks)
6. The map is drawn to a scale of 1 : 500 000 and shows three towns: Simons Town, Deacon Hill and Carrie Beck. John drives from Simons Town to Deacon Hill, and then from Deacon Hill to Carrie Beck.
(a) Calculate the real distance from Simons Town to Deacon Hill.. Give your answer in kilometres. (2 marks)
(b) Calculate the total distance that John drives. Give your answer in kilometres. (2 marks)
7. Draw a scale drawing of a room 4m x 2m. Use a scale of 1cm = 0.5m. (2 marks)
8. Calculate the real perimeter of this shape. Give your answer in metres. (3 marks)
Here’s the timestamps:
0:45 Q1 Scale model
2:10 Q2 Garden
5:06 Q3 Map
6:30 Q4 Lighthouse
8:35 Q5 Model
9:35 Q6 Map
13:48 Q7 Scale drawing
16:00 Q8 Perimeter
- Always work methodically and show your working
- Check your calculations
- Is it a reasonable answer?
Here’s other posts that also might be of interest:
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I’ll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch on YouTube:
I’d really appreciate a like, if you found it useful! If you subscribe to the channel, you’ll also be notified of new uploaded videos.