This video is a walkthrough of simplifying ratio questions – aimed at around grade 3 for GCSE maths …. please do
– stop the video
– work through the questions
– compare your solutions
I hope the video helps and please do leave a comment – thanks!
Download a copy of the questions here: QT Simplifying Ratio
Download a copy of the written answers here: QT Simplifying Ratio ANSWERS
Simplifying ratio questions are usually non-calculator, around 1 – 2 marks, and appear in all the main GCSE exam boards – Edexcel, AQA, OCR and Educas
Here’s the questions
1. Write the ratio 250cm to 750cm in its simplest form
2. Write the ratio 64 : 48 in its simplest form.
3. Write the ratio 10 days to 2 weeks in its simplest form
4. Write the ratio 350 : 25 in its simplest form.
5. (a) Write the ratio 8 : 16 in the form 1 : n
(b) Write the ratio 4 : 10 in the form 1 : n
(c) Write the ratio 21 : 40 in the form 1 : n
6. (a) Write the ratio 4 : 8 in the form n : 1
(b) Write the ratio 9 : 2 in the form n : 1
(c) Write the ratio 13 : 3 in the form n : 1
7. There are milk and plain chocolates in a gift box. ¼ of the chocolates are milk chocolates. Write the ratio of milk chocolates to plain chocolates.
8. There are some counters in a bag. ⅛ of the counters are green. The rest of the counters are blue. Write the ratio of the number of green counters to the number of blue counters. Give your answer in the form 1 : n.
9. At a hockey match there are 2200 men and 1800 women. Write the ratio of male fans to female fans. Give your answer in its simplest form.
10. There are green crayons, blue crayons and yellow crayons in a pack. There are three times as many green crayons as blue crayons. There are five times as many yellow crayons as blue crayons.
Write the ratio of green crayons to blue crayons to yellow crayons.
11. In a tin of biscuits there are wafers, chocolate and plain biscuits. The number of chocolate biscuits is five times the number of wafers. The number of plain biscuits is half the number of chocolate biscuits. Write down the ratio of wafer biscuits to chocolate biscuits to plain biscuits. Give your answer in the form a : b : c where a, b and c are whole numbers.
12. In a bag there are red sweets, blue sweets and green sweets. The number of red sweets is three times the number of blue sweets. The number of green sweets is half the number of blue sweets.
Simon says the percentage of red sweets is 60%. Is Simon correct?
You must show your working.
13. (a) Divide £60 in the ratio 2 : 3
(b) Divide £600 in the ratio 2 : 3 : 5
14. Lauren is making a cake. The instructions say that the ratio of sugar to flour is 1 : 5. Lauren uses 75g of sugar and 350g flour. Has Lauren used the correct ratio of sugar and flour?
15. A school is planning some trips. For every group there must be 1 teacher to 16 students. Which of these trips can go ahead as planned?
- Always work methodically and show your working
- Check your calculations
- Is it a reasonable answer?
Here’s other posts that also might be of interest:
Please do leave a comment below if you are not sure. Alternately you can view my YouTube channel and leave a comment there – I’ll always try to respond as quickly as possible.
Watch on YouTube:
I’d really appreciate a like, if you found it useful! If you subscribe to the channel, you’ll also be notified of new uploaded videos 🙂